Overload Guard (LKV)
The LKV Overload Guard is intended for use as an overload guard/load guard / force control switch / crane guard / load limiter or as a slack rope switch in lifting equipment. The LKV is designed for forces up to 16 ton metric in a single rope part and for max. 44 mm rope diameter.
The LKV is attached to a stationary rope part on a hoisting system or crane. The rope is deflected trough a slight angle between the two wheels and the clamping jaw. When loaded, the rope tends to straighten. The resultant force is applied to the pull rod. When the pre-set switch value is reached, the pull rod operates a micro switch and a close/open circuit is made. The spring element of the load cell is pre-loaded, reducing pull rod movement to the last 25% of full load.
For the best possible accuracy, the LKV is equipped with hardened wheels with carefully designed rope grooves. To ensure correct fitting on the rope diameter, the wheels and the clamping jaws are provided with line tracks at intervals of 4 mm. The wheels should not be regarded as wheels but rather as moving support points, as the peripheral movement on the wheels at full rope load is only about 0.6 mm (incl. the elasticity of the rope).
The LKV Overload Guard /Load Guard / force control switch / crane guard / load limiter is installed “parallel to the hoisting system” and therefore not directly included in the rope system and does not affect the construction of the lifting equipment. The locking device prevents unauthorized interference with the switch setting. In spite of the changes that normally take place on the rope diameter, the LKV maintains its set switch value even after fitting to a new rope. As the LKV is fully pressure tight (IP 67), it is well protected against dust, dirt, moisture, frost and other environmental conditions. The power-absorbing element consists of specially made Belleville washers dimensioned to resist fatigue. The spring washers cannot be overloaded.
LKV Contact function
The micro switch has alternative contact functions. When the LKV is used as an overload guard, the “normally closed function” should always be used. The micro switch has self-cleaning, gold-plated, silver contacts, suitable for operation on low current voltage (under 10 V and/or 60mA). The hysteresis between contact at rising and falling load is 5-8%. This difference is somewhat reduced at lower loads and slightly increase at higher loads. To avoid “chatter” of the contacts and contactors if the load should start to sway, a time delay relay can be connected to delay the re-connection of the hoisting movement.
The LKV is ususally delivered with a factory pre-set switch value, thus eliminating time consuming and expensive installations.
- Install the LKV directly to the static rope part close to the anchor point or close to a compensating pulley. It is not necessary to unload the rope for the installation of the LKV.
- In case the switch value is to be set at installation, then use the spanner provided for this purpose. Check the switch value with a buzzer or similar device.
- Connect the LKV electrically, e.g., to the control circuit of the hoisting movement or the top limit switch.
- Test load the hoist for control and re-adjust the switch value if necessary.
- Seal the set value with the locking clamp and the padlock provided.
- The LKV is delivered for tension forces up to 16 ton metric and for rope diameters up to 44 mm.
± 1,5% of max. rated capacity of LKV
Directly on the wire rope in minutes, with 2 bolts and 1 cable, close to the anchor point or an equalizing pulley.
- Protection class
Pre-set from factory, conforming to IP 67 according to IEC 529.
PIAB LKV:s cover loads from 40 to 16 000 kg (90-35000 lb.) in 8 different capacities and up to 44 mm (1 3/4 inch) wire rope diameter.
- Can temporarily be overloaded by 100% without affecting the accuracy.
- Does not need to be adjusted when wire rope is changed.
- More than 12 000 PIAB LKV Overload Guards are in operation world wide.
- Maintenance free!
- Please supply Safe Working Load (SWL), of hoisting system, number of falls and rope diameter plus required switch value when ordering.